Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Northern Transitions 6-4-10





West Huntington, West Virginia

There’s some kind of perverse satisfaction at being able to say I drove across six states today and a whole lot of mountains. There’s even greater joy that comes from seeing many wonders of creation. Setting out without a specific agenda does make for a freer kind of journey; allowing one to experience serendipity. Generally, journeys are of as much value as final destinations. Woe to those who get ‘jack rabbit fever’ and think of nothing but getting there and missing out on all those grand treasures dotting the amp.

Ninety minutes into my journey the North Carolina Botanical Gardens southwest of Ashville beckoned to me. Only three miles off my chosen route to Kentucky, the short detour and two hours was a small price to pay for seeing a hundred acres of botanical gems in the midst of mountain spring blooms. These gardens have been greatly enhanced since my last visit to them some five years ago. A fine series of heritage gardens have been installed. A stupendous bonsai house contains a fine array of displays in the most open, tasteful, and accessible arrangement I’ve seen. Rather grand educational and entertainment venues have been erected and staff members were busy taking advantage of the cerulean day to plant, prune, and promote the spectral delights of a grand garden. I have noticed in the past couple of years an increasing excellence in the curation and planning of botanical gardens on both sides of the Atlantic; and so it is the case with these pleasing gentle and unpretentious gardens.

After crossing over North Carolina, I stopped in a tourist info center in Tennessee and a most affable fellow put me onto a place called Bays Mountain, one of the largest city parks in the US, administered by the city of Kingsport. This mostly wilderness park proved a pleasing mid-afternoon venue to wander in the woods. While there about two hours I managed to photograph wolves, otter, white tail deer, timber rattlers, red eared turtles, and some most interesting bugs. There are simply so many interesting things to ‘collect’ out here in the world. Several people visiting were very happy for me to show them how to use their very expensive Nikon digital SLRs

Virginia has always been one of my favorite states to drive across. Many happy memories have been created here. My major experiences in Virginia will be deferred for a few days. Today my experience was limited to the panoramic mountain views at Benge’s Gap.

My last journey to Kentucky was a happy one of wandering in state parks two years ago for a week with a friend who has since found love and is getting married on Sunday. Bill has recently moved over to West Virginia but will be getting married in Ashland’s tranquil Central Park. My journey in Kentucky today was limited to interesting images of large scale industrial sites at sunset. There is a certain kind of haunting beauty attached to vast steel works and oil refineries at duck.

Driving across West Virginia is always a most pleasing experience. I always think of West Virginia as having these glorious mounds of emerald mountains unfettered by bill board and commercial clutter so ubiquitous in many states. West Virginia is a most pleasing “Wild and Wonderful” state. The best thing I got to see all day was my friend Bill’s face and that of his bride to be, Judy. Happy conversation took us until early morning.

No comments: